This one was originally posted on September 21st, 2009
This weekend I started rehabbing the table saw I got from my Mom. It was my Dad’s. I actually put it together when he bought it in the early 90’s. It’s spent it’s whole life in the garage. While covered, it did suffer a roof leak at one point, and I’m not sure how long since it was last used. Needless to say it was a little rusty.
I started by basically disassembling it entirely. I took the motor and table extensions off. Then removed the trunnion and cradle assembly. Then, using some Simple Green and steel wool (000 I think) I started scrubbing. And scrubbing. Then I scrubbed some more. And, because I had it, I hit it with some Rust Free. Boy is that stuff nasty! I’m not sure if it did mutch other than stink. Anyway, with a little more elbow grease, I called it good and coated it in Boeshield T-9. It looks pretty good!
I didn’t get to the table extensions or the cradle. Maybe one night this week.
I got some advice on how to get my broken drill bit and bolt out of the motor mount bracket. But I didn’t actually get around to doing that either.
I did work on my plane a bit more. Boy is that slow work. But, here’s a progress pic:
More to come…